Philip Sheffield – Short Biography –
Well known for his superb acting and linguistic skills Philip’s career has taken him all over the world.
- After 25 years as an opera singer he is now singing character/lyric roles such as Tichon, Schoolmaster (Vixen), Basilio, Valzachi, Male Chorus in The Rape of Lucretia, Boles or Adams in Peter Grimes among others.
- He is a renowned expert in Contemporary music and has been involved in many world creations including The Tempest by Thomas Ades at Covent Garden and the Opera du Rhin.Highlights from 2011- 2014;
- Two world premieres in Lyon (Claude) and in Luxembourg (Der Turm)
- Three large Janacek roles – Tichon in Katya Kabanova in Buenos Aires – Teatro Colon, Broucek in The Adventures of Mr. Broucek for Opera North, and Cerevin – in House of the Dead –
- Performances all over the world – Teatro Colon (Buenos Aires), La Scala, Osaka, English National Opera, Opera du Rhin, Vlaamse Opera, Oviedo Opera.
- Recent well known directors he has worked with – Olivier Pi, David Alden, Robert Carsen, David Pountney, Wout Koeken
- Recent Conductors – Kazushi Ono, Marl Elder, Paul Daniel, David Parry, Enrique Mazzola, Marko Letonja
- Concerts at The Barbican, Royal Albert Hall, Festival Hall, Concertgebouw and Berlin Philharmonie – Dream of Gerontius, Britten War Requiem, Bach Johannes Passion
- Educated Trinity College , Cambridge followed by Royal College of Music
- Operatic Debut under Roger Norrington in Orfeo
- Many lyric roles performed around Europe – Tamino, Belmonte, Ferrando, Tom Rakewell, Pelleas, many Britten roles.
- As a specialist in contemporary music he performed leading roles in many world premieres for Opera North, Le Chatelet, Opera Du Rhin, Vlaamse Opera, Rome Opera, Munchen Bienale , London Sinfonietta among others.
- Career highpoints – Singing Pelléas at the Opéra-Comique with George Prêtre and Tom Rakewell with Kazushi Ono at La Monnaie de Munt